There are so many ways you can support someone who’s experiencing a loss. Sending flowers, bringing over food, or just providing a shoulder to lean are some of the most common ways to let someone know you’re there for them in these times of difficulty. But one of the best and most personal ways to express your sympathy is by writing a meaningful sympathy card. A beautiful and carefully written card can make someone feel loved, more secure, and less alone. After all, flowers won’t last a lifetime, but written words will.
Sitting down and coming up with the right words to say for a sympathy card can be challenging. It’s something no one looks forward to, but it doesn’t have to be intimidating. To help get you started with writing your perfect card, we’ve compiled a list of beautiful sympathy messages and quotes for nearly every type of loss. Use these as a guide and remember that including a special memory about the person, a way they had a positive impact on your life, or something you will miss about them is almost always a good idea as it adds a personal, unique touch to your heartfelt greeting.
What to Write in a Sympathy Card
- For loss of Mother
- For loss of Father
- For loss of Husband or Wife
- For loss of Sister or Brother
- For loss of Child
- Religious Sympathy Messages
- Condolence Messages for Coworker
- For Loss of a Pet
Loss of Parent Sympathy Messages
No matter your age, losing a parent is one of the most difficult things we go through in life. If someone you know has recently lost their mom or dad, consider starting your card with one of these touching messages.
Messages for Loss of Mother
- Your mom was an amazing woman. Her memory will live on forever.
- Your mom holds a special place in my heart. She will always be special to me.
- May you find peace and comfort in knowing your mom touched so many lives. She will be missed by so many.
- My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mom. She was an incredible woman who touched so many hearts.
- I hope it will comfort you to know that we share in your loss of such a wonderful woman. Sending love and prayers your way.
Messages for Loss of Father
- Your father was an excellent role model for so many of us. I was heartbroken to learn of his passing and will miss him dearly.
- You will always remember how it felt to be loved by your father. May his memories bring you peace and comfort.
- I will always treasure the memories I have of your dad. He will be missed by so many people.
- We are so sorry to hear of your father’s passing. Please know you and your family will be in our prayers.
- My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your father was an extraordinary man, and his loss will be felt by many.
Loss of Spouse Sympathy Messages
The commitment of marriage creates a bond between two people unlike any other. It is devastating when a husband or wife passes away and the grief can last a lifetime. If writing a sympathy card for someone who recently lost their spouse, the following heartfelt messages are the perfect place to start.
Messages for Loss of Husband
- Please accept my deepest sympathies over the death of your husband and know that you’re in my thoughts during this difficult time.
- There are no words that can express my deepest regrets over the loss of your husband. I pray his memory will bring you peace and comfort over the coming months.
- Your husband was one of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met. You and your family will be in my prayers.
- Your husband had such a positive impact on so many lives. My most heartfelt condolences.
- It was an honor to have known your husband and he will be sorely missed. My deepest condolences.
Messages for Loss of Wife
- Your wife was a special person. I don’t have the words to express my deepest regrets over her passing but know that I’m always here for you if you need anything.
- My heart goes out to you during this time. Your wife was a truly special woman, and I will never forget her.
- We were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of your wife. We extent our deepest condolences to you and your family.
- The world was a better place with your wife in it. She touched so many lives in a positive way and she will be missed dearly.
- You and your wife had an unbreakable bond. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you, but please know that I’m always here for you and will keep you in my thoughts.
Loss of Sibling Sympathy Messages
The loss of any immediate family member is absolutely devastating. Losing a brother or sister can be especially difficult because of the lifetime of experiences shared together and the protective nature of siblings. If someone you know has lost their sibling, send them some words of sympathy and love with these messages.
Messages for Loss of Sister
- Your sister left us far too soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you cope with this terrible loss.
- I have so many fond memories of your sister. She will not be forgotten. Please extent my condolences to the rest of your family.
- I am so truly sorry for the loss of your sister. No words can express how much she meant to me.
- If there is anything I can do to ease the burden of your sister’s passing, please let me know. I am always here for you.
- Your sister meant so much to all of us and we were so sorry to hear of her passing. Please let us know if there’s anything we can do to be of help during this difficult time.
Messages for Loss of Brother
- I can’t imagine what your family is going through over the loss of your brother. You have my deepest condolences.
- My heart aches for you during this time. I cannot imagine the pain from the loss of a brother but know that you are in my prayers.
- Your brother was one of my best friends and a truly special person. May his memory live on forever.
- I wish you peace and strength during such a hard time. Your brother was an amazing person, and you have my sincerest sympathy.
- I have so many fond memories of your brother and feel so blessed to have known him.
Sympathy Messages for Loss of Child
It’s hard to argue that anything can be more painful than the death of a child, no matter the age. It’s such a profound and traumatic loss when someone loses a son or daughter that coming up with the right words to say can seem impossible. Use these messages to write a card that conveys your deepest sympathies.
Messages for Loss of Young Daughter
- We are so saddened by the loss of your precious girl. She was loved by all.
- There are no words to explain the sorrow and pain you are feeling. Your daughter will be missed.
- We will forever cherish the memories we had with your daughter. Knowing her has been a blessing and a privilege.
- I will always remember your daughter for her beauty and wit. May you find comfort in all the special memories you have of her.
- Your daughter was a beautiful angel. Know that you and your family always have my love and support.
Messages for Loss of Grown Daughter
- Your little girl will forever be in our hearts. Stay strong and know we are here for you if you need anything at all.
- Our hearts ache for you and your family over the loss of your angel. We are deeply saddened by this tragedy and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
- I cannot comprehend how difficult this time must be for you and your family. Know that we are all thinking of you and praying for you.
- I was both shocked and saddened to learn about your daughter’s passing. Please accept my sincere sympathy.
- I am truly sorry for your loss. The loss of a daughter is heart-breaking and my heart aches for you and your family.
Messages for Loss of Young Son
- Please accept my love and deepest sympathy on the passing of your little boy.
- We were devastated to hear about the loss of your beautiful child. We are sending you all our love and well wishes at this deeply saddening time.
- I can’t imagine what you’re going through with the loss of your son. He was a wonderful kid, and he will be so missed.
- The pain of a losing your baby boy must be indescribable. Your angel will forever stay alive in our memories.
- I feel so blessed to have been graced by your son. My heart goes out to you during this tragic time.
Messages for Loss of Grown Son
- My heart is heavy knowing your son is no longer with us. He was incredibly loved by all who were lucky enough to know him.
- I want to express my deepest condolences for the loss of your son.
- I am saddened to hear of the recent passing of your son. I’m here for you and I love you.
- It was such an honor to be your son’s friend. I will carry his memory with me forever and will miss him every day.
- I have so many amazing memories of your son that I will cherish for the rest of my life. My deepest condolences to you and the rest of your family.
Religious Sympathy Messages
Some people use their faith to help get through a loss. Sending a sympathy card with a religious theme or a quote can be a wonderful way to bring comfort to someone who is deeply religious. If you’re unsure about whether the recipient is religious, you should send a traditional sympathy message instead.
- I am praying for you to find healing through the Lord’s love. Take comfort in knowing that He is always by your side.
- Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with you through this loss. May God watch over you and comfort you.
- We are deeply saddened by your loss. We pray that God will give you strength and grant you comfort in your time of bereavement.
- “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
- “The God of love and peace shall be with you.” – Corinthians 13:11
Condolence Messages for Coworkers
Sending your condolences to a coworker who’s going through a loss is always a nice gesture, even if you aren’t particularly close with them. Letting them know that they are surrounded by people who care about them at work can bring comfort during a difficult time. If you’re looking for what to say in these situations, here are some ideas for a sympathy card that will be well received.
- The whole office is thinking of you, and we are all here for you.
- All our hearts go out to you. We are sending you strength to get through this.
- You are in all our thoughts and prayers in the midst of this pain.
- Please accept my warmest condolences.
- You have my deepest sympathies during this time. If there is anything I can do, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Pet Sympathy Messages
It’s hard to image life without our pets. They show us an unconditional love, and when they die it can be like losing a best friend. Sending a short, sweet card to someone who’s recently lost their pet is a heartwarming way to show them you care. Here are some ideas for what you can say in your pet sympathy card.
- Your pet had such a wonderful life with you. I’m terribly sorry you had to say goodbye.
- He/she was so lucky to have found a family as warm and loving as yours.
- I know how much he/she meant to you. You are in my thoughts during this tough time.
- You gave them such a special life and I know they felt so loved.
- I’m so sorry you are going through this loss. You loved them so much.
- They may no longer be by your side, but they will forever be in your heart.
- May the memories your love and friendship give you comfort during this loss.
- I’m so sorry for the loss of your beloved friend.
- A pet’s love will be remembered for a lifetime.
- It’s so hard to say goodbye. My thoughts are will though as you go through this loss.